Behavior

Home Forums Pomeranian Forum Behavior

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  admin 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

admin
    Keymaster

Hi we have had 2 poems now on our 3rd. We have been having behavior issues and need some help. He is over protective of me and when someone approaches he goes for the ankles. What kind of training do you suggest? He is not trusting of others and won’t let family or friends get close. We adopted him at 1 1/2 yrs. he is now 4 , at first he never growled or went for ankles just now since older. We love him but we are so upset about the behavior. We never hit, just say no, but does not help. Mary

admin
    Keymaster

Reply from Katie ” My old dog trainer said it was important to have a talk with everyone in the family and visitors to have a united front in standard of training. They used a lot of positive reinforcement – give the guests the super amazing treats to dish out. I know it’s more complex than this, but it’s about all I remember

admin
    Keymaster

reply from Min Min ” If the dog is food motivated the other people giving treats may help as positive reinforcement, but I think you need a two pronged plan, when this behaviour happens growl and remove the dog from your presence either outside or to another area.
    Dogs and especially poms learn from pleasant and unpleasant experiences, being removed from your presence is an unpleasant experience.
    Give it a try it will probably take a week or two and make the separation approximately 2/3 minutes in the beginning and increasing to 5 if the behaviour persists. ”

admin
    Keymaster

Reply from Sivi ” Do not remove the dog in these situations.
    Put on a necklace. Leave your dog at owner’s side and slightly behind. Owner must be calm. Do not stress. Sit down on a chair. Lift the dog on the owner’s lap.
    If the dog defends here. Say nop. Give a treat when the dog is calm and friendly.
    Do this times. With different people.

Remove the collar please. ”

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Password Reset
Please enter your e-mail address. You will receive a new password via e-mail.