The facts about the Pomeranian temperament are that these little fellows have a confident and alert expression and a spunky attitude. They are curious about everything that is going on. Pomeranians have big, boisterous personalities and do like to rule the roost.
Pomeranians are charming, small, and loving dogs. They are friendly and affectionate dogs and thrive on being part of household activity. Poms enjoys a close association with those they live with. They tend to be very active and lively little dogs that enjoy playing and cuddling.
What is the Temperament of a Pomeranian Dog?
Keep in mind that every Pom will have a personality that may not fit these generalizations. Pomeranians usually share the following temperament:
- Courageous: The Pomeranians display a courageous temperament and remind people of a much larger dog. Pomeranians will do anything to protect their family if they feel like their owners are in danger.
- Barkers: Pomeranians often bark loudly despite their small size. They will bark every time someone approaches. Early socialization and obedience training can help curb Pomeranian barking.
- Watchdogs: The Pomeranians are alert and aware of their surroundings. They are highly protective of their family and make great watchdogs. While owning a Pomeranian, you won't need a doorbell. These dogs are always quick to sound an alarm.
- Playful: Pomeranians are highly playful dogs. They will enjoy spending time and playing with their human companions. Their playful antics often help them get the adoration they crave. You can never get bored with a Pomeranian.
- Intelligent: Pomeranians are intelligent and smart dogs. They have a reasonably good memory. They can read and react appropriately to human gestures. Poms need mental stimulation to stay away from mischievous and destructive activities.
- Sensitive: Pomeranians are emotionally delicate breeds and are very sensitive. When touched unknowingly, these little dogs can give you a dirty look. They cannot easily handle inconsistent routines and noisy and chaotic households.
- Affectionate: Pomeranians are loving and affectionate to the entire family. They desire your attention and affection but offer unconditional love to their owners. Pomeranians enjoy cuddling up next to their owner.
- Can't tolerate being alone: These charming little dogs love attention. It is not a good idea to leave Pomeranians all by themselves as you go for a walk or to work. If you should leave them, it should not be more than four hours. When left alone, Pomeranians tend to be anxious, bored, and lonely and could become problematic and destructive.
- Loyal: Pomeranians are loyal and betrayal is not their attribute. They like being around their owners and that’s why they don’t make good dogs when left alone.
Both the male and female Poms are incredibly affectionate and loyal to their families, and they’re not aggressive.
Male Pomeranian Temperament
Let's have a look at the temperament of male Pomeranians:
- Pomeranian males are much more devoted and loving than females. Male Poms become very attached to their human family. They always wait for your attention and like being around you all the time.
- Male Pomeranians tend to be more spirited, reliable, and less moody. You can't help giving them all of your attention because they are so charming.
- Male Pomeranians are more accepting of other pets in your house.
- Male Poms can be easily distracted from training. Male Poms are in most instances easily motivated by praise and food, thus making training easier.
- Neutered boy Poms rarely exhibit secondary sexual behavior such as marking.
It is always best to neuter a male Pomeranian to keep him healthy unless you are keeping him for breeding purposes.
Female Pomeranian Temperament
Let's have a look at the temperament of female Pomeranians:
- Female Poms are more independent and willful. She will usually come to you for attention. When she's had enough, she will go about doing her own thing.
- Female Pomeranians demand attention and want to rule the pack. They are intent upon exercising their dominance by participating in alpha behaviors.
- Female Pomeranian usually chooses a single person to bond with.
- Female Poms are territorial and need to be socialized. Otherwise, they may get too protective over their favorite person in the family.
- Females love to exercise their dominance, and they love to get away with doing their own thing.
- Female poms will achieve mental maturity faster than their male counterparts.
- Most females are not aggressive. However, most fights will usually break out between two females fighting for dominance.
- During the heat cycle, female Pom may become moody and withdrawn. This is mainly due to hormones rapidly rising and dropping. It may also be due to discomfort and abdominal cramping.
- Female Poms are very successful in trying to outsmart you.
- Female Pomeranians are usually less distracted during training. They just want to get this training thing over and done.
It is always best to spay a female Pomeranian to keep her healthy unless you are keeping her for breeding purposes.
Are Pomeranian Good Family Dogs?
Pomeranians get along with just about everyone. It also relies heavily on their upbringing and how you introduce your Pom with kids and other pets.
- Are Pomeranians good with other dogs?
Pomeranians enjoy the company of other dogs and are not reactive toward other dogs. This is especially true if your Pom has been raised with other dogs since puppyhood. However, they can be defensive if they feel threatened.
Poms don't realize just how small they are! You need to protect them from bigger dogs.
- Are Pomeranians good with cats?
Pomeranians can get along great with cats, especially if they're raised with them. Poms and cats usually don't have problems with one another. However, close supervision is advised.
- Are Pomeranians good with strangers?
When it comes to strangers, Pomeranians are very protective. Whenever Pom spots a stranger, he will set off the alarm. Poms tend to bark at strangers and unfamiliar people. That's why they're among the best breeds to have as a watchdog.
- Are Pomeranians good with kids?
If you have toddlers or kids, it’s a big NO. These dogs are not suitable in a household with small kids. Pomeranian has a mind of his own. They can snap at the kids as Poms are afraid of sudden movements.
You should always supervise all interactions between kids and Pomeranian. Teach children how to approach and touch Poms. As a parent, you should teach your kids to treat their dogs with kindness and respect. Also, educate them to never approach any dog while it's eating or sleeping.
Pet Parent Tip: No dog, no matter how friendly and loving, should ever be left unsupervised with a small child.
How to Have a Well-Rounded Happy Pomeranian
Let's face it! All dogs are different! Here are a few ideas that you can take to ensure that your Pomeranian will grow up to be a friendly and well-rounded dog:
- Socialization: Like all dogs, Pomeranians need early socialization and exposure to many different people, animals, places, sounds, and sights during puppyhood.
- Lots of love and attention: Give your Poms a lot of love and attention. Make sure to spend time regularly with your pet.
- Physical exercise and mental stimulation: Poms thrive on physical and mental stimulation. You should remove their excess energy. Games like fetch, nose games, hide-and-seek are great ways to remove pent-up energy in Pomeranians. These activities will keep your dog busy and make them more responsive. Challenge your Pomeranian with different activities, interactive toys, and challenges.
- Positive reinforcement: Use positive reinforcement techniques to reward the positive behavior of your Pomeranian. These pooches feel special every time they are rewarded with praises and rewards.
- Stay consistent with your Pom: You need to be consistent with your dog. Lack of consistency might reinforce the negative behavior. Socialization and training a Pomeranian takes time and effort. You need to be patient with your furry pal.
Many behavioral problems have a root in a dog’s early upbringing. It is important to socialize your Pomeranian from a young age with as many people and animals as possible. Set limits from the start and your Pomeranian will be a wonderful companion.
Parting Shot on Pomeranian Temperament
By owning a Pomeranian, you’ll end up with a small dog who has a big personality. This little fellow will steal your heart with its cuteness, loyalty, and funny antics. These adorable and playful dogs possess all qualities that make them the ideal dogs to raise.
If you want your Pomeranian to always stay friendly, it is important to provide enough mental stimulation and physical activities. It is unlikely that there will ever be a dull moment with your Pom around!
If you have any further questions about Pomeranians, please do not hesitate to ask.
Copyright Pomeranian.org. All Rights Reserved.