This article will explore the Pomeranian as a show dog, famous Pomeranian owners and give details of Pomeranians featured in the media.
Quick History of the Pomeranian as a Show Dog
In 1870, the English Kennel Club officially recognised the breed and held the very first show, where three Poms were on exhibition.1863, Pomeranians had classes of their own in London’s Great International Dog Show.The English Pomeranian Club was established in 1891.
Pomeranians in U.S.A
In 1900, in the United States, the American Kennel Club (AKC) first recognised this small breed. In 1900, the country’s Kennel Club officially recognised the Pomeranian and the American Pomeranian Club was formed.
The American Pomeranian Club became a member club of the American Kennel Club in 1909. 1910, saw the very first Pomeranian breed show in the U.S.A.
Pomeranians on the Titanic
There were 12 dogs on the Titanic. The majority of these dogs belonged to affluent Americans. The fare for a canine on the Titanic was pricey, identical to a child’s fare. 3 dogs survived the tragedy, a Pekingese and two Pomeranians.
The two Pomeranians being Lady, owned by Miss Margaret Hays and a Pomeranian belonging to Mrs Elizabeth Barrett Rothschild. This Pomeranian survived the Titanic disaster, however was later killed by another dog in New York. Elizabeth’s husband, Martin was one of the many who perished in the accident.
Famous Pomeranian Owners
As a Pomeranian lover, you’re in extremely good company. Over the years, many famous people have fallen under the spell of this delightful little dog.
Past and Present Famous Pomeranian Owners Include:
- Queen Charlotte:, King George III’s wife, (1744-1818) had white Pomeranians Phoebe and Mercury.
- Queen Victoria: (1819-1901) Bred and exhibited Pomeranians. On holiday, she purchased four Pomeranians from Italy, the most famous being a little sable dog called Marco. Other Royal Pomeranians included Gina, Fluffy, Nino, Mino, Beppo, Gilda, Lulu and Turi. Queen Victoria housed up to 35 Pomeranians in the royal kennels.
- Marie Antoinette: Queen of France (1755 -1793).
- Josephine Beauharnais: Empress of France (1763-1814).
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Classical Music Composer (1756-1791) owned a Pomeranian called Pimperl. Mozart wrote an aria dedicated to his Pom.
- Gainsborough: A painter (1727-1788).
- Carl Friedrich Abel: Composer. (1725-87). Gainsborough painted his Pomeranian.
- Martin Luther: (1483 –1546) German monk, theologian, church reformer owned a Pom called Belferlein.
- Charles Darwin: Owned a Pomeranian who was named Snow.
- Michelangelo Di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni: (1475 –1564). Michelango’s Pom was said to have sat on a satin pillow watching him paint the Sistine Chapel.
- Sir Isaac Newton, mathematician and physicist (1642-1727) owned a Pom called Diamond. Diamond would chew his manuscripts.
- Frédéric Chopin Composer. (1810 –1849). Chopins “Valse des Petits Cheins” was inspired by his girlfriend’s Pomeranian.
- Emile Zola: French novelist and critic (1840 –1902).
- Harry Houdini: had a Pom called Charlie.
More Recent Famous Pomeranian Owners:
- Jean Harlow: had a Pomeranian.
- Kimora Lee Simmons: had two Pom Suki & Simba.
- Sasha Cohen: ( Ice Skater) owned the Pom Mocha.
- Elvis Presley: bought a Pom called Sweet Pea for his mother Gladys. After Gladys’ death Sweet Pea came to live with Elvis.
- Fran Drescher: owned a Pom called Chester who appeared in the show “The Nanny”. After Chester’s passing Fran purchased another Pomeranian called Ester.
- Kate Hudson: is the proud owner of Clara Bow.
- Paris Hilton: has 3 Poms called Marilyn Monroe, Prince and Kimchi.
- Nicole Richie: Foxy Cleopatra.
- Tammy Wynette: Killer.
- Britney Spears: Isabelle and Izzy
- Rhianna: Marley.
- Sharon Osbourne: Minnie, Mr Chips and Pipi.
- David Hasselhoff: Jenny & Killer.
- Jeff Hanneman: a chocolate Pom called Scoolu.
- Humberto Gonzalez: Cosmo
- Nick Cave’s: parents owned a Pom called Marco Polo.
- Pauline Rubio: Miranda.
- Maria Sharapova: Dolce.
- Brittany Taylor: Bandit.
- London Tipton: Ivanna.
- Holly Madison: Harlow and Panda.
- Hilary Duff: Minnie and Macy.
- Haylie Duff: Bentlil.
- Chanelle Hayes: Crumpet.
- Patrick Stump: Penny.
- Victoria Asher: Gizmo.
- Geri Halliwell: Daddy.
- Dee Winfield: Chauncey.
- LeAnn Rimes: Joey and Raven.
- Cindy Williams: Phoebe.
- Daishi Kajinaga: Momo.
- Irene Handle : Fluffy.
- Jessica Alba: Lucky.
- Liza Minnelli: Austin Powers.
- Samantha Mumba: Foxy.
- Goldie Hawn: Clara.
- Courtney Love: Princess Paps.
- Bill Cosby: Luther.
- Keanu Reeves : Fluffy.
- Cynthia Bailey: Bai Lei.
- Gavin Rossdale: Chewy.
More Famous Pomeranian owners include:
Sandra Bullock, Alec Baldwin, Bethenny Frankel, Perez Hilton, Cesar Milan, Jeff Lewis, Gerard Butler, Niecey Nash, Mario Lopez, Betty White, Brad Goreski, Barry Bonds, Brandi Glanville, Cee Lo, Drake, Kathy Hilton, Lisa Rinna, Slash, Miss Universe Olivia Culpo, Jenni Pulos, Dolph Lundgren, Tony Bennett, Sylvester Stallone, P. Diddy and Kim Porter, Eva Longoria, Frank Watkins, Rudi Johnson, Lisa Vanderpump and Matt Light. If we have missed a celebrity Pomeranian owner please drop us a line with any information.
Literature, Movies and Television Shows Featuring a Pomeranian
Pomeranians in Literature:
Beatrix Potter wrote about a black Pomeranian named Duchess in The Pie and the Patty Pan.
My Trip by Bunty. An Australian book written about the adventures of a Pomeranian dog who was called Bunty Rogers. This book was written and illustrated by Hunter Rogers in 1964.
Pomeranians in Movies:
Pomeranian Dogs Appeared In The Following Movies:
- Candy paint – 2005.
- Killer Bud 2000.
- Quigley 2003.
- To Die For 1994.
- Dumb and Dumber – 1994.
- Harlem Nights- 1989.
- Cadillac Man- 1990.
- Fran Dreshler’s Pomeranian Chester has a starring role in this movie.
- Superman Returns – 2006. Two Pomeranians appear in this movie.
- Screwed – 2000. Enemy of the State – 1998. A white Pomeranian appears in this movie with Will Smith.
- Blade: trinity – 2004.
- Lady and the Tramp 11: Scamp’s Adventure- 2001.
- Titanic – 1997.
- Hounded – 2001.
- Chasing Papa.
- Adventure of Bailey: A Night in Cowtown – Jiff the Pomeranian had a starring role in this movie.
- The Secret Life of Pets – One of the main characters is a white Pom female.
Pomeranians on Television:
- That’s So Raven.
- The Suite Life of Zack and Cody.
- Excel Saga.
- The Nanny.
- The Osbournes.
- The Simple Life.
- Heroes – A Pomeranian called Lestat , who played the character Mr. Muggles in the show. Las Vegas – Lestat appeared in this show.
- The Real Housewives of Beverley Hills. The Real Housewives of Melbourne. Gamble is the proud owner of two Pomeranians, who appear in the show.
Pomeranians Have Appeared in Many Commercials
If we have missed any Pomeranian in this article please drop us a line with any information.
Copyright Pomeranian.Org. All Rights Reserved.
References and Further Reading:
 Official Standard of the Pomeranian (AKC). American Kennel Club, 2011.
 Official English Kennel Club Pomeranian Breed Standard , 2017.
 Kimbering Pomeranians “1891-1991”.
 Denise Leo, The Pomeranian Handbook.