The best way to bond with your puppy is by playing with him in an interactive manner. You’ll be able to stimulate him and that’s all part of your overall care plan. There are lots of toys designed for owners and their pets to play with together. It’s a lot of fun and it’s also cathartic for you because it releases your stresses and makes you relax more. Having fun with your dog creates a “magical” bond that keeps him occupied and decreases any destructive behaviour or boredom in the quiet times. These toys actually increase your dog’s intelligence.
Pomeranian toys to relieve anxiety and boredom. It’s essential to find good quality toys because they’ll help your new Pom deal with separation anxiety and accepting that they will be home on their own when you have to go out. Sheer boredom and the stress he will feel when waiting for you to return home may cause him to nervously chew almost anything he can find if you don’t provide him with something suitable that he loves to chew and play with. Chewing is his way of dealing with stress so you can ease it by getting the best toys for him to chew as you can.
There are several different types of toys to satisfy this need:
1. Toys that encourage puppy to play independently. If your Pomeranian doesn’t feel like chewing, he should still have a reason to play with each toy he’s given. Toys for bored Pomeranians. If the toy isn’t liked by your Pom, it can just lay there doing nothing and your pet will still be bored. The ideal toys are those that can keep him interested and focused when nobody else is around.
Here are a few ideas:
• Colours: dogs love brightly coloured toys to help them focus.
• Textures: A toy with a few different textures will make him more curious and keep him enthralled for longer.
• Teasing toys: There are some amazing toys around that contain small treats. Once your dog has done some work, he’ll get a treat. It’s critical that you buy high quality toys so they last longer and you’ll have comfort in knowing pieces can’t break free, especially if you’re not home to rescue your dog if something does go wrong. Avoid purchasing any toy containing any small plastic parts which could be easily chewed and swallowed by your pom. Dangerous toy parts to small dogs are often plastic eyes, internal plastic squeakers, tails etc. Carefully examine each toy prior to allowing your Pomeranian access and for peace of mind do a regular check on the condition of all doggie toys.
2. Comforting toys for Pomeranians. When any age dog is all alone at home with no other people or animals for company, he’ll cope better if he doesn’t feel as isolated. So the ideal toys for these times are ones that provide an element of calmness and comfort. Poms love large, soft stuffed toys that emit a soothing, peaceful heartbeat. This toy provides a sense of companionship and security and older Poms may start to mother the toy. Puppies may regard it as a type of mother.
Dispensers and Boxes Dispensers are perfect for those times you need to leave your dog alone for a few hours. However, they’re not cheap. Toy boxes are great fun and offer a place where your Pom can “hide” his favourite toys. Dogs should know they own their toys and they can always rely on finding them, wherever they leave them. If you can’t afford to constantly buy new toys, it’s a great idea to have two boxes of toys.
Only let your puppy play with toys in one box at a time. When he gets bored with those toys, you can bring out the new set and hide the first set again. By rotating the boxes, you can keep your puppy occupied for a long time because he’ll feel as though he has new toys each time you change the boxes. However, you have to let him keep his “favourite” toys or he may get upset if he loses them suddenly.
Teething toys. Owners may find it frustrating if their puppies are teething. Dogs chew anything they can reach, with the exception of the kitchen sink, and can leave a trail of destruction as they go. It’s also upsetting to know the reason for this behaviour is that your puppy is feeling pain and is suffering as a result. A dog will gnaw and chew virtually anything to ease the pain he feels. It’s important to note that anybody can make a cheap plastic object and claim it’s a dog toy. That’s not what your puppy needs. Cheap toys can be easily pulled apart; pieces may be chewed until they fall off, and the toy may contain chemicals hazardous to your puppy’s health as well.
A caring owner will only buy good quality toys that their puppy can enjoy. You want toys to keep your little Pom amused but toys that also help if he’s teething because they’re safe to chew and won’t come apart. Some of these toys may be frozen so when your puppy is chewing it, that icy cold feeling numbs his gums and lessens some of his pain. The best toys will be made from strong materials with no colouring containing chemicals and so they’re safe for your teething pet. They can be made of specific textures that feel good if your puppy has itchy gums. The toys should be the right size for Pomeranians and must be shaped so they can easily be manipulated within his mouth to rub against the sorest spots and get relief.
Never underestimate the ability of the humble ice cube! If you put an ice cube on a slippery kitchen floor, he’ll be amused for hours and he’ll also use it to ease his painful gums. It’s easy to add flavours to ice cubes in trays. Try 100% apple juice mixed with water, or a low salt chicken broth. Then put the cubes in the freezer until they’re rock hard.
Copyright Pomeranian.org. All Rights Reserved.