For the health of your Pom it is advisable to avoid feeding any Pomeranian treats containing refined flour, sugar, artificial colours and preservatives. Commercially available dog treats and cookies often consist of unhealthy and even harmful ingredients.
Pom owners concerned about the safety of treats for Pomeranian puppies should refrain from feeding imported pet treats or products containing imported ingredients. When shopping for pet treats search for those containing wholesome, nutritious ingredients.
On This Page
- 1 The Best Dog Treats for Pomeranians are Homemade Dog Treats
- 2 Top Amazon Com Dog Treats
- 3 Pomeranian Cookie Cutters
- 4 Video of Making Homemade Dog Treats for Pomeranians
- 5 Click Here for Pomeranian Food Recipes
- 6 Cold Treats for Pomeranian Puppies
- 7 Homemade Dog Treat Moulds:
- 8 Best Pomeranian Puppy Treats Choices:
- 9 Best Treats for Pomeranians Summary
- 10 Learn Everything About Pomeranians in The Pomeranian Handbook
The Best Dog Treats for Pomeranians are Homemade Dog Treats
Boiled beef heart, kidney or liver, cut into small pieces and put in the freezer with zip lock bags is a Pomeranian favorite treat. These treats will last in your freezer for a couple of months. Another safe treat is small pieces of cheese.
Give your Pom large beef bones from your butcher. Ensure there aren’t any sharp edges. If you are worried about hygiene, boil the bone for a few seconds to kill germs. Allowing your Pomeranian to chew on these large beef bones will assist with teeth cleaning and improve gum health.
Pomeranian Cookie Cutters
Video of Making Homemade Dog Treats for Pomeranians
A lovely breeder friend gave me a bag of homemade liver treats for the Pomeranians. WOW. The Pomeranians loved them, so I decided to buy a dehydrator and attempt to make these Pomeranian treats to keep the Pom fur kids happy.
This short video is my attempt at making these Pomeranian treats. Next time I will cut the liver thinner. Make these treats and your Pomeranian will thank you.
Homemade Dog Treats for Pomeranians Recipes
Bacon Flavored Dog Biscuits
- 5 cups whole wheat flour 10 tablespoons melted bacon fat 1 cup milk 1/2 cup water 2 large eggs 1 teaspoon salt.
- Mix all ingredients well.
- Pinch off pieces of the dough and roll them into golf ball sized pieces and place on a well-greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.
Canine Bacon Biscuits
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour. 1/2 cup powdered milk 1 beef cube or 1 teaspoon beef stock powder 1 tablespoon wheat germ 1/3 cup bacon fat or vegetable oil 1 cup chopped bacon bits 1 large egg 1/2 cup cold water.
- Pre heat oven to 350. F or 175. C and line tray with baking powder.
- Put all the dry ingredients and bacon into a large bowl, add the beaten egg, oil, water, garlic and mix well.
- If mixture is a little dry just add a bit more water.
- Roll out and using a doggy biscuit cutter, cut out biscuits and place on tray.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a yummy golden brown.
- You can cut out a bone shape template using a firm cardboard.
2 to 4 chicken breasts
- 1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2. Remove any excess fat from the chicken. Turn the chicken breast on its side and use a paring knife to slice the chicken breast into 1/8 inch thick strips.
- 3. Set the strips on a baking sheet. Bake for 2 hours.
- 4. Check the chicken before removing from the oven. It should be dry and hard, not soft or chewy. Allow the chicken to cool completely before serving.
- 5. Store the jerky in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Cold Treats for Pomeranian Puppies
In the hot summer months, you’re always looking for as many ways as possible to keep your Pomeranian cool. One way is through the food you give him. Cold treats are terrific because your dog will love them and the extra coldness will help keep him feeling more comfortable so you win on both counts.
You also want to keep your Pom healthy and happy so it’s smarter to make the cold treats yourself. There are times when products are recalled due to health scares and no owner wants his pet to endure even a moment of pain or discomfort if it can be avoided. You’ll save money and can also provide more variety in the types of treats you make. Eventually you’ll identify what he likes and doesn’t like and then it’s easy to make his treats, while also saving you money.
Consider the size of many cold treats available on the market today and then look at your pet. There are many commercial ice licking toys that are simply too big or too much for your Pomeranian to enjoy. Because you can create your own treats, you can make them smaller so your Pom doesn’t have to struggle to enjoy them.
But the big questions is: what types of moulds can you buy that are small enough to use? The first place to look is on the internet where you can get just about anything you could dream of. Ice cube trays shaped like dog bones would be ideal and, yes, you can buy them online if you find the right places.
Homemade Dog Treat Moulds:
These moulds are made from sturdy material that won’t crack. The size of each “cube” is approx. the size of your small finger. PERFECT! A little trick you can use to help get the frozen cubes out of the moulds when ready is to use organic coconut oil. Line each mould with this oil because, in small amounts, it’s safe for dogs to consume. Next you have to decide what types of food you’ll turn into cold treats because there are so many options available. It also means you can control the ingredients you feed your dog more easily and help him stay healthy by not overloading on sugar, fats and calories.
Best Pomeranian Puppy Treats Choices:
- Ice cubes are the most obvious choice. They can be plain water or contain something else for added flavour, depending on what your Pomeranian enjoys.
- Tuna is a food all dogs absolutely love so you can make small amounts of frozen tuna on its own or include other ingredients on this list for added flavour and nutrition.
- Yoghurt. You can buy pre-made frozen yoghurt treats or make your own. Yoghurt helps settle gas in dogs as well as it does for people.
- Low Salt Broth. Broth is a versatile base for creating all sorts of delicious frozen treats for your pet to enjoy on hot days. You can add various meaty options or peanut butter. There are certain dog toys you can buy that allow you to fill and then tape at the end so it slowly melts while your Pom sits there licking it.
- Chunks of cheese. Choose to freeze them on their own or you can freeze them in a liquid such as a broth or plain water to make them more visually appealing. Your dog will love them either way.
- Frozen liver. Boil and cooked. Cut up beef and/or chicken livers into small single bite pieces. After you have frozen them, they can be easily stored in zip lock bags. Unless you’re raw feeding your Pomeranian, 2-3 pieces per day is ample.
- Hot dog bites. All dogs adore eating hot dogs. Cut them into strips length-wise before freezing them so your pet won’t try to swallow a piece whole and then start choking because it’s too big.
- Baby food. As long as it doesn’t contain onion powder, your pet will really enjoy most baby foods. Freeze them in small muffin cups so they can be fed to your Pom in small amounts.
- Frozen egg. Mix one or two complete eggs in a blender (this includes the shells) until it’s smooth. Using an ice cube tray, fill each cube half way so it’s easier to get them out when frozen and ready for use. Don’t use more than one cube per day so your Pomeranian can properly absorb all the essential nutrients.
- Fruit and vegetables. There are plenty of healthy fruit and vegetable options that can be turned into yummy icy treats. These include: bananas, apples, strawberries, sweet potato, squash and green beans. You can also use fruit juices frozen into cubes. Just make sure you choose the lower sugar options, better still NO sugar option and AVOID all products containing artificial sweeteners.
- Commercially made dog popsicles. If you don’t want to take extra care of your beloved Pomeranian, you can choose to buy commercially made popsicles. However, they don’t have nearly enough of the flavours that your homemade treats will possess.
All caring owners want to see their dogs have the best of everything. Making your own means you’ll also save lots of money. Feel free to check out my site for more complex recipes for icy treats your dog will start salivating over, the moment he sees them.
Think about ingredients, flavours and variety. You wouldn’t eat toast three times a day. You want variety in your diet so your Pomeranian deserves plenty of different options as icy treats as well. He’ll be happy to keep enjoying them if you mix and match to suit.
Best Treats for Pomeranians Summary
Pomeranians aren’t really dogs to their owners. They’re your children, regardless of their actual age. This means you have to ensure they eat and drink healthy foods. Icy treats are no exception. They want to cool off when it’s hot just as much as you want BUT they can’t tell you to give them treats so you should anticipate their needs and be prepared.
Copyright Pomeranian.org. All Rights Reserved.