I receive so many emails regarding toilet training or should I say toilet training gone wrong! House training your Pomeranian puppy requires much patience and perseverance in the first weeks. If you have purchased your puppy from a reputable registered breeder your task will be so much easier. Puppies born and reared in dirty condtions will be very hard to house train if not impossible to completely house train. Most registered breeders will have already commenced training your new baby to potty on newspapers or a litter tray .
Number one rule is to restrict puppy’s unsupervised access to your home. The biggest mistake anyone can make is to bring your new Pomeranian baby home, let baby run around your home for a few days going to potty anywhere and then deciding to start potty training.
Your home will smell like puppies potty place everywhere and your task will be a lot harder and slower to achieve. The Pomeranian puppy is kept in a playpen with clean newspaper down or puppy training pads, food, water and a comfortable bed at the other end of the playpen. The Pomeranian puppy sleeps in this area and when I have to go out I leave the baby Pomeranian confined to the playpen. As soon as puppy wakes up I take him or her outside to the area I want puppy to use as a potty area.
I also take puppy to this area after meals and reward puppy when he or she has done the right thing with heaps of cuddles and tell puppy how clever and good he or she is. This takes a lot of patience and you must persevere, but doing this right in the first few weeks will pay in the long term. Accidents do and will happen.
DO NOT SMACK PUPPY OR ATTEMPT TO RUB HIS NOSE IN HIS ACCIDENT.
Immediately take puppy to the potty area. Clean up the accident immediately and ensure there is no lingering smells or puppy will use this area again and again. If your puppy has been using a rug or newspaper you can place either item in the place outside you want baby to use as the potty area. The smell will help the puppy associate this area with going to the toilet.
Helpful items to aid potty training your new puppy are Four Paws Wee Wee Housebreaking Pads 150/Pkg or reusable, washable potty pads. Poochpad PP20272-B Medium Reusable Absorbent in Beige – Pack of 2
Purchase online at the best prices or from a lot of discount stores and pet shops ( I avoid going into petshops for fear of bringing home disease) and already smell to the puppy like urine. Place one of these where you want puppy to use as the potty place and the smell from the pads will encourage the puppy to use the pad.
Another product is Potty Patch – As Seen on TV, Small, indoor grass puppy potty. This product is a artificial grass type potty for your adult Pomeranian or puppy. Can be used indoors out outside. Easily hosed and washed. A great product if your intend to potty train your Pomeranian to use a patio area.
White vinegar is an excellent cleaner to use and is safe on most carpets.
- Dogs respond to odours and they’ll urinate where there is the smell of dog urine. Eliminate the smell associated with mishaps from your home by simply cleaning with white vinegar.
- Always take your puppy outside to “potty” after sleeping, eating and during playtime.
- Crate or confine your puppy to a small area at night and anytime you’re unable to monitor your puppy.
- When puppy urinates or defecates at the “potty” place, lavish lots of praise on puppy and give him a treat instantly. These actions tell puppy he has accomplished a wonderful thing. If preferred, you might include a command word while he’s performing his business.
- After success at the “potty” spot, puppy may have freedom of the home for a short period of time. The amount of time is based on his age.
- In the event of no results during a “potty break” after 5 minutes, bring puppy inside and place him in his crate for half an hour and then repeat the process.
- If you catch puppy in the act, yell NO and race puppy to the “potty” place. If puppy does “potty” more at the correct place, praise and treat. Thoroughly clean up the accident prior to returning puppy to the room.
- A young puppy must not be confined to a crate for lengthy periods of time. A general time line is to expect a Pomeranian puppy to be able to hold on for absolutely no more hours than the number of months of their age.
Litter training your Pomeranian Puppy.
This is the easiest to start at around 3 weeks of age. I place a very low tray of kitty litter at the entrance to the baby’s bed. Rascal Dog Litter Box “Little Squirt” ™ – 23 by 16 by 6 FOR TOY BREEDS Click here for dog litter pans used to train your Pomeranian puppy. The first thing the pom baby steps onto when getting out of the bed is the kitty litter tray. As the Pomeranian puppy gets older I move the litter tray further away. Good Luck and remember you need heaps of perseverance and patience with your baby Pomeranian.
For complete and detailed Pomeranian information, Potty training, Toilet and crate traing your Pomeranian, Pomeranian Colors and Patterns, How to choose the right Pomeranian puppy for your family, Feeding your new Pomeranian puppy, Socializing your Pomeranian Puppy, Common Health Issues Affecting Poms, Choosing Your Pomeranian’s Veterinarian. The Pomeranian colors explained, Breeding & Exhibiting Pomeranians Download the Pomeranian Book by Pomeranian Breed Authority Denise Leo.